Village of Hempstead Hempstead Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative (ESPRI)
The Village of Hempstead was selected as one of 16 communities statewide to participate in the Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative (ESPRI). The statewide ESPRI initiative is modeled after the Rochester-Monroe Anti-Poverty Initiative, this is an exciting opportunity for our community members to work together to develop and execute an innovative plan to reduce poverty level in the Village of Hempstead.
Mayor Wayne Hall and United Way of Long Island (the administrative agency) have engaged key members of our community to participate on the Hempstead Anti-Poverty Task Force. The Task Force’s mission is to collectively identify and assist with the developing sustainable solutions toward ending poverty in our community. Over the next several months, several committees will be populated to help Task Force in its work. This process will unfold over a number of months through a series of meetings.
- Graduation rate 52%
- Median Earnings without High School Qualification$21,621
- Median Earnings with High School Degree$35,767
- 20.7% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in Hempstead, NY (54,051 people) live below the poverty line. This is higher than the national average of 14.7%.
- Females 25-34 yrs. Old are the largest demographic living in poverty. 20.7% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in Hempstead, NY (54,051 people).This is higher than the national average of 14.7%.
- African Americans have a 19.1 % diabetes mortality rate by age 75 compare to 8.7 of the white population and 10.9 % of Hispanics.
- Out of 100,000 African American people, 204.7 have a coronary heart disease mortality rate by age 75, compared to 162.3 white and 94 Hispanics.
- In 2015 Hempstead Village had 403 violent crimes, 6 murders, 8 forcible rape cases, 175 robberies, 214 aggravated assaults, 717 property crimes, 164 cases of burglary, and 456 larceny cases.
- In 2014 Hempstead Village had 481 violent crime cases, 8 murder cases,4 forcible rape cases, 248 robbery cases, 221 aggravated assault cases, 965 property crime cases, 201 burglary cases, 607 larceny cases.
- Median selected monthly owner costs -with a mortgage, 2011-2015 $2,855
- Median gross rent, 2011-2015 $1,287
- Average Commute Time 34 minutes
- Using Public Transportation 16.3%